The restrictions will affect some 300,000 people in the area in order to prevent further coronavirus transmission. The decision comes after two weeks of double-digit rises in new infections in Australia’s second most populous state.
Australia has so far accounted for around 7,830 cases and 104 deaths from Covid-19, the disease caused by coronavirus.
The country’s recent hike in cases has sparked concerns of a second outbreak, mirroring an issue that has concerned other nations too.
On Sunday, global coronavirus cases surpassed 10 million a tragic milestone that brought along over half a million deaths in around seven months.
The city will go back to stage three lockdown rules, the third-strictest level in restrictions to prevent the spread of the virus.
Locals will be required to remain at home at the exception of grocery shopping, health necessities, work or caregiving, and exercise.
There will also be mass testing in place that authorities will try to apply to half of the population of the region affected, authorities said.
Ten Victorian postcodes will go into lockdown again from midnight on Wednesday and international flights for Melbourne will be diverted.
Victoria reported 73 new infections on Tuesday from 20,682 tests, following an hike of 75 infections on Monday.
READ MORE: Trump embarrassment as Republican Party split on face masks
“A significant number, and potentially more, of the outbreaks in the north of the city are attributable via genomic sequencing to staff members in hotel quarantine breaching well-known and well understood infection control protocols.
“That is unacceptable to me,” Mr Andrews added.
“I’m sure that will be unacceptable certainly to all of those who will be impacted by the restrictions that we have had to reimpose, announced today, coming into force at 11.59pm tomorrow night.”
The restrictions are set to remain in place until at least 29 July.
“If we do not do this now then I won’t be locking down 10 postcodes, I will be locking down all postcodes,” Andrews said.