EU caves: UK secures huge victory over London finances – Brussels give in after threat

The UK is a world leader in the financial markets with City-based firms acting as the middlemen for buyers and sellers across the globe. European Union banks face being cut off from vital “clearing houses” at the end of the year if Brexit trade talks collapse. Those EU banks “clear” around £670 trillion a year – with the vast majority of business going through London.

With eurocrats becoming increasingly worried about the prospect of a no-deal Brexit, they have signed off on plans to give European firms an 18-month licence to continue using London.

European Commission vice-president Valdis Dombrovskis said: “Clearing houses, or CCPs, play a systematic role in our financial system.

“We are adopting this decision to protect our financial stability, which is one of our key priorities.

“This time-limited decision has a very practical rationale, because it gives EU market participants the time they need to reduce their excessive exposure to UK-based CCPs, and EU CCPs the time to build up their clearing capability.

“Expires will be more balanced as a result. It is a matter of financial stability.”

MORE TO FOLLOW…



World War 3 warning: Iran VOWS to give ‘crushing response’ to US for ‘bullying’ sanctions

Iranian president Hassan Rouhani made the remarks in a live televised cabinet meeting on Sunday as the US declared United Nations sanctions on Iran were reinstated. The decision was made without the approval of the other members of the UN Security Council. This is the latest dispute between Iran and the US after a year of high alert, with January beginning with the assassination of Iranian general Qassam Soleimani by US forces.

Mr Rouhani said in his address Iran will inflict a “decisive response” against the US for acting like a bully to the UN and to itself.

The Iranian president congratulated the UN Security Council for resisting US pressure to snapback sanctions onto Iran.

He regarded the UN’s decision to condemn the US’ calls as an example Washington’s efforts to sanction Iran “has reached its definitive point of failure”, and it marked “a memorable day in the history of our country’s diplomacy”.

Mr Rouhani added Iran would “give a crushing response to America’s bullying”, and also said: “Today we can say the ‘maximum pressure’ of US against the Iranian nation, politically and legally, has turned to ‘maximum isolation’ for the US.”

READ MORE: WW3: Iran could have ‘nuclear weapon by the end of the year’ as US plans new sanctions

 

Iran’s foreign minister also said earlier the US efforts to reimpose snapback sanctions was “futile” and not going to pass with the UN.

The ministry added in a statement: “The US approach is a major threat to the international peace and security and an unprecedented threat to the UN and the Security Council”.

“Iran emphasises that if the US, directly or with the co-operation of a number of its allies, makes any move in line with these threats, it will face a serious reaction and should account for all its dangerous consequences.”

A week earlier, Javad Zarif, foreign minister, called on European members to stand against “US economic terrorism” if they want “full implementation of the nuclear agreement”.

After the UN members refused to reimpose the sanctions, Mr Pompeo attacked the council for their lack of actions.

The secretary said European leaders “haven’t lifted a finger” to halt arms sales to Iran.

He added to Fox News: “Arms sales, tanks, air defence systems, all of those, in a couple of weeks, would have been permitted to have been sold. And the Europeans have not joined us in this.”

He also said ahead of the UN’s decision to reject the US’ proposal there would be “consequences” if member didn’t back Washington’s sanctions.

A top Iranian general has also recently vowed revenge on the US for the assassination of Gen. Soleimani earlier this year.

Major-General Hossein Salami said in a speech directly addressing Mr Trump: “Our revenge for the martyrdom of our great general is certain. It is serious. It is real.

“We will hit those who were directly or indirectly involved in the martyrdom of this great man.”

Mr Trump also said earlier this week any Iranian revenge for the death of Gen. Soleimani would be responded in kind, and added: “If they hit us in any way … we’re going to hit them 1,000 times harder.”



Biden proposes 401(k) changes to give low-income savers bigger tax benefits


The plan, which calls for changing the way 401(k) accounts are treated in the tax code in order to encourage low earners to save more, would likely mean higher earners would see a smaller tax break than they do now.

Even if Biden is elected, the plan would have to be approved by Congress.

US economy: Send us your stories about financial struggle
Biden’s campaign proposal is vague on some key details, but here’s how it could work. The current system — which allows savers take up to $19,500 in income-tax deductions every year — would be replaced with a flat refundable tax credit.
The Tax Policy Center assumes that credit would be equal to 26% of anyone’s retirement contribution, regardless of their income.

The Biden plan doesn’t mention changing the contribution cap, which is currently tied to inflation.

Couples filing jointly who earn roughly up to $80,250 would benefit from such a change, while those in the higher brackets would lose some of the value of the tax benefits when compared with current law, according to an analysis by the Tax Foundation.

Biden is also proposing to establish automatic retirement savings accounts for workers who don’t already get 401(k)s or pensions from their employers.

Since 2016, several states have created their own retirement accounts for those workers. But a federal initiative created by the Obama administration, called myRA, was shut down after about three years because of a lack of demand. In 2017, Republicans in Congress repealed an Obama-era rule that had paved the way for states to create their own retirement plans. It hasn’t halted the states’ efforts, but it left a chilling effect.

Some Republicans floated a proposal to decrease the contribution limits for 401(k)s in 2017 amid negotiations over their massive tax overhaul legislation, as a way to raise tax revenue. But the final law ultimately left retirement plans untouched.

Give Your Regular Egg Curry An Interesting Twist With This Egg Drop Curry Recipe

Highlights

  • You will find a number of variations to the same egg curry recipe
  • While some add omelette in the gravy, others prefer including boiled eggs
  • This egg drop curry will give a quirky variation to the regular recipe

Egg is probably one of the simplest and most comforting foods for many of us. It is versatile and can help you whip up countless number of dishes anytime of the day. All you need are eggs and some basic ingredients to put together a quick and delicious meal, effortlessly. One such popular recipe is of a humble bowl of egg curry. It is basically boiled eggs dunked in spicy, aromatic Indian gravy. However, if you look around you will find a number of variations to the same egg curry recipe. While some people prepare tomato-based gravy, others like adding yogurt instead. You may also find people including masala omelette to the gravy as a spicy alternative to boiled eggs.

Here’s the recipe of egg drop curry that can be an interesting and quirky addition to your list of various egg curries. In this recipe, the egg is directly poached in the gravy. Hence, it is often referred to as poached egg curry. The dish is quick, easy and omits the step of boiling or frying the egg before adding to the curry. Let’s find out the recipe!

Also Read: Watch: Give Your Classic Egg Curry A Chettinad Twist (Recipe Video Inside)

va218i3g

Here’s Step-By-Step The Recipe For Egg Drop Curry:

Ingredients:

4 eggs

2 onions, sliced

1 tomato, cubed

2-3 green chillies, slited

2 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste

2 teaspoon cumin-coriander powder

1 teaspoon garam masala powder

1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder

Half teaspoon turmeric powder

Salt to taste

A pinch of sugar

2 tablespoon oil

1.5 teaspoon chopped coriander leaves

Method:

Heat oil in a kadhai.

Add onions and fry till they turn translucent in colour.

Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell is gone.

Add tomato, green chilli and salt and cook everything together till the tomato turns soft and mushy.

Add turmeric powder, cumin-coriander powder and Kashmiri red chilli powder and cook on medium to low flame. Fry till the whole masala releases oil.

Add some water to the mix and prepare gravy.

Now, break the raw eggs carefully in the gravy in a 10-15 seconds interval. Add the eggs from the side of the pan. Cover the lid and poach the eggs on a low flame.

Finally, open the lid, add garam masala and coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Close the lid add let the flavours infuse.

And your flavourful egg drop curry is ready to be relished with rice or paratha. Enjoy your meal!

About Somdatta SahaExplorer- this is what Somdatta likes to call herself. Be it in terms of food, people or places, all she craves for is to know the unknown. A simple aglio olio pasta or daal-chawal and a good movie can make her day.

Bundesliga: German states give green light to nationwide return of spectators

Representatives of the 16 states agreed in a video conference on Tuesday spectators can return to stadiums across the country when the Bundesliga resumes on Friday.

Last season’s schedule was completed with teams playing behind closed doors due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, the number of fans present is to be limited to a maximum of 20% of any given stadium’s capacity. Under Germany’s federal system, local health authorities will have the final say on just how many, if any fans are allowed into any particular stadium, depending on the level of coronavirus infections in the region.

The new Bundesliga season kicks off on Friday with defending champions Bayern Munich hosting Schalke in Allianz Arena. It wasn’t immediately clear whether fans will actually be able to attend the season opener in Munich.

German Football Association (DFB) president Fritz Keller was one of the first to react to the decision, saying he was “very happy” and expressing his “great gratitude.”

“The Bundesliga clubs, but also the clubs and associations of other sports, can be very happy,” Borussia Dortmund’s chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke said.

Local authorities have already given some clubs the green light to allow fans to return, with Werder Bremen and RB Leipzig each hosting 8,500 — or around 20% of their stadiums’ capacities to watch weekend cup matches live.

Tuesday’s decision applies not only to the Bundesliga, but also to lower football leagues, as well as other sports such as ice hockey, basketball, handball and volleyball.

The situation is to be reviewed at the end of October.

pfd/dv (dpa, AP)



WW3: Trump’s Israel peace agreement to give UAE more ammunition – Palestine furious

Palestine has criticised the peace agreements, which have been signed between Israel, the United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain, for not addressing the conflict in Gaza. Mahmoud Abbas, Palestinian leader, has said peace “will not be achieved in the region until the Israeli occupation ends.”

Israel has claimed two rockets were fired into its territory during the peace agreement ceremony.

The deals mean the UAE and Bahrain will now be able to buy sophisticated weaponry from the United States according to The Telegraph.

This is something Israel can already do, and includes drones and fighter jets.

Noura Erakat, an American-Palestinian human rights lawyer, accused Mr Trump of “simply providing the military, financial and diplomatic infrastructure to further repress popular struggles for democracy and freedom in the Middle East.”

In an op-ed for NBC news, she wrote: “Historically, Arab states have refused to normalize relations with Israel until and when it guarantees Palestinian national rights.

“But Bahrain, like the United Arab Emirates most recently, did not secure a single lasting concession for Palestinians in its agreement with Israel — not even to slightly ease the 13-year blockade of Gaza, which has turned the tiny coastal enclave into an open-air prison.”

Palestinians are also concerned the deals mark a betrayal by Arab states which had previously said they would not boost ties with Israel until a Palestinian state is recognised, the BBC adds.

Anwar Gargash, the UAE’s minister of state for foreign affairs, urged calm.

READ: Ivanka Trump could ‘definitely’ be the first female US president says Donald Trump’s ex

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has praised the deals – and Mr Trump – highly.

Of the peace agreements, he said: “This day is a pivot of history. It heralds a new dawn of peace.”

Mr Trump himself said: “Thanks to the great courage of the leaders of these three countries, we take a major stride toward a future in which people of all faiths and backgrounds live together in peace and prosperity.”

When the UAE agreed to the peace deals last month, Israel said it would suspend plans to annex Palestinian-occupied regions of the West Bank.

Washington is said to have brokered the deals, with a peace agreement between the UAE and Israel announced back in August.

The deals mean four Arab countries now recognise the state of Israel, the BBC reports.

The US president said the occasion marks “the dawn of a new Middle East.”

Historically, Arab nations have refused to do so due to the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Specific details of the agreements are not yet publicly available.



WW3: Trump’s Israel peace agreement to give UAE more ammunition – Palestine furious

Palestine has criticised the peace agreements, which have been signed between Israel, the United Arab Emirates, and Bahrain, for not addressing the conflict in Gaza. Mahmoud Abbas, Palestinian leader, has said peace “will not be achieved in the region until the Israeli occupation ends.”

Israel has claimed two rockets were fired into its territory during the peace agreement ceremony.

The deals mean the UAE and Bahrain will now be able to buy sophisticated weaponry from the United States according to The Telegraph.

This is something Israel can already do, and includes drones and fighter jets.

Noura Erakat, an American-Palestinian human rights lawyer, accused Mr Trump of “simply providing the military, financial and diplomatic infrastructure to further repress popular struggles for democracy and freedom in the Middle East.”

In an op-ed for NBC news, she wrote: “Historically, Arab states have refused to normalize relations with Israel until and when it guarantees Palestinian national rights.

“But Bahrain, like the United Arab Emirates most recently, did not secure a single lasting concession for Palestinians in its agreement with Israel — not even to slightly ease the 13-year blockade of Gaza, which has turned the tiny coastal enclave into an open-air prison.”

Palestinians are also concerned the deals mark a betrayal by Arab states which had previously said they would not boost ties with Israel until a Palestinian state is recognised, the BBC adds.

Anwar Gargash, the UAE’s minister of state for foreign affairs, urged calm.

READ: Ivanka Trump could ‘definitely’ be the first female US president says Donald Trump’s ex

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has praised the deals – and Mr Trump – highly.

Of the peace agreements, he said: “This day is a pivot of history. It heralds a new dawn of peace.”

Mr Trump himself said: “Thanks to the great courage of the leaders of these three countries, we take a major stride toward a future in which people of all faiths and backgrounds live together in peace and prosperity.”

When the UAE agreed to the peace deals last month, Israel said it would suspend plans to annex Palestinian-occupied regions of the West Bank.

Washington is said to have brokered the deals, with a peace agreement between the UAE and Israel announced back in August.

The deals mean four Arab countries now recognise the state of Israel, the BBC reports.

The US president said the occasion marks “the dawn of a new Middle East.”

Historically, Arab nations have refused to do so due to the Israel-Palestine conflict.

Specific details of the agreements are not yet publicly available.



Should I give my child the flu vaccine?

Flu symptoms are extremely close to covid symptoms, so it’s easy to confuse the two. That’s one of the reasons why the NHS is offering the flu jab to more people than usual this year, including children. But should I give my child the flu vaccine? Do they really need it?

The NHS normally offers a free flu jab to those over 65, pregnant people, those with certain medical conditions, and more.

This year, the vaccine will be given to a range of different people to protect them against the flu.

The flu kills a staggering 17,000 people in a year in England alone, and increasing vaccinations against it will prevent hospitalisations from the flu while the NHS is overwhelmed with covid-cases.

That’s why the vaccine is being offered on the NHS for a larger group of people this year, including children.

READ MORE- Free flu jab age: How old do you have to be to get free NHS vaccine?

Should I give my child the flu vaccine?

Your child does not have to have the vaccination, but it might be a good idea to get it done.

The NHS site explains children spread flu quicker because they don’t use tissues properly or wash their hands enough.

With kids back at school, they could risk spreading the flu to other children.

Let’s not forget that the symptoms of flu and coronavirus are extremely similar.

Having the flu vaccination could prevent confusion between the two and any symptoms after the jab would suggest to you that your child has coronavirus.

Vaccinating children will also protect others who are more vulnerable to the flu.

This includes babies, older people, pregnant women, and those with serious long-term illnesses.

If your child frequently comes into contact with any of these vulnerable people, it’s worth getting them vaccinated.

Children very occasionally die of flu themselves, and healthy children under the age of five are the most likely age group to be sent to hospital with the flu.

Preventing them from catching the flu will be a weight lifted from the NHS.



Meghan Markle and Prince Harry give huge donation to charity after being inspired by fans

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have donated £100,000 ($130,000) to CAMFED, which campaigns for female education in Africa. The charity said Meghan and Harry have matched the amount raised by Sussex fans to mark the Duke’s birthday. In a mesage to their fans, the couple said: “No better way to celebrate what really matters.

“Thank you to everyone who donated, Harry and Meghan.”

The campaign to raise money for the charity began last month for Meghan’s birthday on August 4. 

Fans launched the #InspiredByMeghan fundraiser for Meghan’s birthday back in August, but soon changed it to #InspiredByHarry to mark his big day.

CAMFED said: “7 weeks ago we couldn’t imagine the heights we’d reach with your support, #SussexSquad. 

“That’s 50 young women’s futures transformed! Excited for tomorrow…”

MORE TO FOLLOW.