Three major decisions are upcoming in Louisville, Kenosha and Rochester

When is “soon,” though? That remains unclear.

The fatal police shooting of Breonna Taylor, the suffocation death of Daniel Prude in police custody, and the non-fatal police shooting of Jacob Blake are all under investigation by state attorneys general. Here’s a look at where those cases stand.

Louisville Metro Police officers fatally shot Taylor, a 26-year-old EMT, after they broke down the door to her apartment while executing a late-night, “no-knock” warrant in a narcotics investigation on March 13.
Police believed Taylor was home alone when she was in fact accompanied by her boyfriend, who was legally armed, according to a CNN review of the shooting. That miscalculation, along with the decision to press forward with a high-risk, forced-entry raid under questionable circumstances, contributed to the deadly outcome.
Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron, the first Black person to hold the post and a Republican rising star, was made a special prosecutor in the case earlier this year.
Breonna Taylor had big plans before police knocked down her door in deadly raid
He met with Taylor’s family for the first time on August 12, more than 150 days after she was killed. The meeting included Taylor’s mother, Tamika Palmer, sister, aunt, family attorneys and a local activist.
None of the three officers involved in the flawed raid has been charged with a crime. One officer, Brett Hankinson, was fired in late June for “wantonly and blindly” firing 10 rounds into her apartment, then-interim Louisville Police Chief Robert Schroeder wrote.
A grand jury has been empaneled to investigate the shooting, two people close to the process told CNN. The grand jury, which was empaneled this week, “will be hearing other criminal cases first to get their feet wet with the process and then hear the Taylor case,” a source close to the investigation told CNN on Wednesday.

Cameron is expected to announce a charging decision soon, though he declined to provide a specific timeline on Wednesday.

“My office is continually asked about a timeline regarding the investigation into the death of Ms. Breonna Taylor. An investigation, if done properly, cannot follow a specific timeline,” Cameron tweeted.

Daniel Prude

In Rochester, New York, the state attorney general has been tasked with investigating Daniel Prude’s death in police custody.

Back in March, Prude, a 41-year-old Black man, was handcuffed by police while naked and in the midst of a mental health emergency. Video provided by Prude’s family attorneys shows the officers placed a covering over his head to keep him from spitting and then pinned him to the ground in a prone position.

Prude stopped breathing and was declared brain-dead at a hospital, where he died on March 30. The Monroe County Medical Examiner ruled the death a homicide, citing complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint. The report also cites excited delirium and acute PCP intoxication as causes of death.

7 Rochester police officers suspended over Daniel Prude's death, mayor says
Though Prude died in March, the release of police bodycam video last week led to immediate actions from local officials. Mayor Lovely Warren suspended seven Rochester Police officers involved in the arrest last week.

New York Attorney General Letitia James announced Saturday that she’s forming a grand jury to investigate his death.

“The Prude family and the Rochester community have been through great pain and anguish. My office will immediately move to empanel a grand jury as part of our exhaustive investigation into this matter,” James said in a statement.

The revelation has also led to protests and accusations that officials may have been part of a cover-up. On Tuesday, the mayor said Rochester Police Chief La’Ron Singletary and his command staff submitted paperwork to retire.

“As a man of integrity, I will not sit idly by while outside entities attempt to destroy my character,” the chief said in a statement. “The events over the past week are an attempt to destroy my character and integrity.”

Jacob Blake

The Kenosha Police shooting of Jacob Blake, who survived but is partly paralyzed, is being investigated by both state and federal officials.

Blake, 29, was shot in the back seven times on August 23 by Kenosha Police officer Rusten Sheskey, according to the Wisconsin Department of Justice Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), which is leading the investigation.

Blake admitted to officers that he had a knife in his possession, the DCI said. Investigators later “recovered a knife from the driver’s side floorboard” of Blake’s vehicle, the agency said. The agency did not indicate whether Blake brandished or threatened to use the knife.

Jacob Blake's sister says she isn't sad. She's angry and she wants change
The DCI’s investigation is assisted by the FBI, Wisconsin State Patrol and Kenosha County Sheriff’s Office. The US Department of Justice is also conducting a federal civil rights investigation into the shooting.
In a statement, the DCI said it is reviewing evidence and will turn over investigative reports to a prosecutor after a “complete and thorough” investigation. The DCI said it aims to provide that report within 30 days, which would be September 22. At that point, the prosecutor will review the report and determine whether charges are appropriate, DCI said.

Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul, a Democrat, offered no timeline in comments to CNN on Friday.

“We’re going to continue moving quickly with this investigation,” he said. “But we’re only going to do so to the extent that that’s consistent with making sure that we have a full accounting of the facts through our investigation.”

Separately, Blake is accused of three charges, including felony third-degree sexual assault, connected to an incident in May. He has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

CNN’s Ray Sanchez, Christina Carrega and Devan Cole contributed to this report.



USPS using an outside PR firm to fight election fears as Trump fumes over upcoming hearing

Guided by a public relations firm, DeJoy and the US Postal Service are now scrambling to clean up after weeks of criticism and allegations that the Trump administration was using the agency to meddle in November’s election. DeJoy’s efforts at two congressional hearings and other public appearances will be critical.

After an emergency closed-door meeting Saturday between DeJoy and the Postal Service Board of Governors, a source familiar tells CNN the agency engaged PR firm Weber Shandwick to help manage crisis messaging and combat some of the anti-Postal Service and mail-in voting rhetoric coming from the White House.

Shortly afterwards, the Postal Service put out a statement from DeJoy suspending any changes until after the election, but did not say whether the changes already made, like the removal of high-volume letter sorters, would be reversed.

DeJoy has begun preparing for his congressional hearings for this Friday and Monday, two sources close to the postmaster general tell CNN. The new job has thrust DeJoy from obscurity into the spotlight, a position those close to him say he is not quite comfortable with. He is also conducting personal outreach of his own with Congress this week, calling House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer.

Perhaps the most public-facing postmaster general since Benjamin Franklin, DeJoy is also considering capitalizing on his newfound spotlight by doing local television interviews to assuage voters over fears their mail-in ballots will not be safe with the US Postal Service, a source told CNN.

CNN Poll: Questions about accuracy of vote counting rise as most want to vote before Election Day

While many close to DeJoy blame postal unions for the leaks and negative press, he is also preparing to record a public service announcement alongside union leaders from the National Association of Letter Carriers and the National Postal Mail Handlers Union that will air on television stations around the country starting in September. Ronnie Stutts, the president of the National Rural Mail Carrier Association, confirmed he would be part of this effort with other union leaders.

But a PSA and local interviews to assure Americans that voting by mail is safe and efficient runs completely counter to the narrative set by Trump, who has continued to attack the process with unproven accusations that it is rife for fraud.

Trump has also complained about the timing of the hearings, saying they’re intended to draw attention away from next week’s Republican National Convention. “Always playing right into their hands!,” Trump tweeted, calling on action to change it from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell. The Senate hearing — run by Republicans — is Friday; the House hearing — run by Democrats — is Monday.
According to a CNN Poll released Tuesday, 34% of registered voters say they prefer to vote by mail in the presidential election, 22% say they want to vote early at a polling place, and just 43% say they would prefer to vote in-person on Election Day.

The partisan divide is stark. Among supporters of the President, 66% say they prefer to vote in person on Election Day. Those voters backing former Vice President Joe Biden mostly prefer to vote by mail (53%).

Sources close to DeJoy describe him as somewhat Trumpian himself. A New York native, DeJoy is a business man who is known for speaking his mind. And like Trump, sources close to DeJoy and others who have sat in meetings with him describe him as a Washington outsider, unaware of the level of politics that this job would hold.

“He did not seem to understand that he would have to deal with Congress on anything,” one source familiar with DeJoy’s attitude told CNN.

“He was brought in because of his experience to help run a business, to help fix a broken business,” a friend of DeJoy’s said. “This has all become too political.”

But unlike Trump, DeJoy seems to be learning quickly on how best to navigate Washington. With a speedy willingness to testify and personal calls to top Democrats, DeJoy is actively putting up a defining line between himself and the White House, one Trump is likely to notice.

US Postal Service delays force Department of Veterans Affairs to shift prescription delivery methods

The suspension of the changes and implementation of additional resources, make voting-by-mail appear legitimate, when Trump has actively worked to discredit it.

Alarming changes at the Postal Service

Postal Service workers started sounding alarms earlier this month after changes instituted by DeJoy, a Trump ally and donor, caused delivery service delays. With millions of Americans expected to vote by mail amid a pandemic, the massive delays lead to outcry from Democratic and Republican lawmakers over ballot access and vote count ahead of the November election.

Last week, the Postal Service inspector general began a review into these changes and how they may impact the election, after senators demanded an investigation. State officials also voiced concern about election integrity after more than 40 states received letters from the Postal Service warning them that ballots may not be delivered in time.

Postal Service backs down on changes as at least 20 states sue over potential mail delays ahead of election

While USPS sent warnings on potential election delays late last week, CNN obtained documents showing plans to remove nearly 700 high volume letter sorters ahead of November. And images of blue mailboxes being carted away on trucks started circulating on social media. While some Republicans argued that the removal plan was an effort to save the Postal Service from its dire financial situation, the timing, coupled with Trump’s assault on mail-in voting, fueled allegations that the Trump administration was using the Postal Service to influence the election, a charge DeJoy denies.

Tuesday, Democratic attorneys general from at least 20 states launched a multi-pronged legal effort to push back on the recent changes that disrupted mail delivery across the country and triggered accusations that Trump and his appointees are trying to undermine mail-in voting. DeJoy “acted outside of his authority to implement changes to the postal system, and did not follow the proper procedures under federal law,” according to a statement from Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson, who filed one of the lawsuits.
At roughly the same time the Democratic lawsuits were announced, DeJoy released a statement suspending all the changes to the Postal Service until after the election.

“To avoid even the appearance of any impact on election mail, I am suspending these initiatives until after the election is concluded,” DeJoy said.

Mail-in vs. absentee voting: What's the difference?

According to the statement, USPS is also ramping up capabilities ahead of the election: expanding a leadership task force on election mail and engaging “standby resources in all areas of our operations, including transportation, to satisfy any unforeseen demand.”

But questions remain on whether the damage has already been done. USPS did not respond to multiple requests for comment on what this meant would happen to machines and boxes that were already removed.

In a statement, USPS said it has worked with Weber Shandwick for over a decade.

“Weber Shandwick has been the communications agency of record for the United States Postal Service since 2009, including strategy, marketing, crisis, internal and external communications services,” the statement from USPS said.

CNN’s Phil Mattingly contributed to this report.



Here's what you need to know about HSBC's upcoming interim results

A pedestrian walks past illuminated signage for HSBC Holdings Plc displayed outside a bank branch in the Central district of Hong Kong, China.

Anthony Kwan | Bloomberg | Getty Images

HSBC is expected to report a sharp fall in earnings for the first half of 2020 as a result of the economic hit from the coronavirus pandemic and lower interest rates globally.

The London-headquartered bank, Europe’s largest by assets, is scheduled to release its financial report for the first six months of this year at 12 p.m. HK/SIN time. Its shares, listed in Hong Kong and London, have plunged by more than 40% this year, according to Refinitiv data.

HSBC’s reported pre-tax profit is forecast to come in at $5.69 billion for the first half of 2020 — or less than half of $12.41 billion that was reported a year ago, according to analyst estimates compiled by the bank.

Revenue for the six months is expected to be around $26.41 billion, roughly 10% lower than the prior year’s $29.37 billion, the estimates showed.  

The bank, which earns most of its profits in Asia, is also expected to provide an update on its restructuring efforts alongside the release of its financial report card.

HSBC Chief Executive Noel Quinn announced in February a plan that would result in a reduction of around 35,000 jobs. The restructuring would include merging its retail banking and wealth management units, cutting its European equity business as well as reducing branch network in the U.S., he said.

The scheduled announcement of the bank’s financial results follows that of other British banks, many of which reported a slide in profits. British bank Standard Chartered, which is also Asia-focused, on Thursday reported a 33% fall in first-half profits to $1.63 billion.

Property crisis: How to hack the upcoming house market crash – according to experts

Experts are recommending to sell property now and buy later, even if it means renting in-between. An independent buying agent, Henry Prior, spoke to The Times about the hack.

He said: “My advice at present is to sell first, then buy, and if necessary rent in the interim.”

This is because coronavirus is expected to take such a blow to the UK property market, with some in the upper end of the market losing hundreds of thousands of pounds from the value of their property very quickly.

The ongoing saga of Brexit is also likely to lower the value of UK property.

However, the expert suggests some could take advantage of some market buoyancy caused by the easing of lockdown regulations.

READ MORE: House prices predicted to rise over the next three months as market ‘accelerates’

Mr Pryor went on: “There seems to be an unexpected window where a combination of pent-up demand, latent Boris bounce and Brexit relief is convincing some buyers that now is the time to commit to a new home.

“If you can agree a delayed completion then you may not need to rent, but doing so may well be the best bet, because I expect rents to soften and capital values to be 5 per cent to 10 percent lower come the new year.”

However, another expert warned this could backfire – so act with caution.

Anyone looking to attempt this risky manoeuvre will need weigh the cost of the sale of their current property, the cost of renting in the interim, the costs incurred the buying a property and the costs of moving against any gains in capital they might make.

DON’T MISS
Rightmove shows £1million difference in housing costs of UK seaside towns [RESEARCH] 
Property market sees ‘astonishing upsurge’ as sales rise in May [DATA] 
Houses with ‘unlucky’ door number worth £15k MORE [PROPERTIES] 

Due to coronavirus rent has been falling in some parts of the UK, especially London and the South East.

It as previously been suggested that property prices in London could fall drastically as Britons who work in the city elect to move to other regions.

The extension of working from home policies put in place by companies would allow this.

TV property expert Kirstie Allsopp made the claims a “mass exodus to the country” could sink London house prices.

Appeared on World at One in May Kirstie said: “She said: “I think office space will probably drop in value as less is needed.

“I think the value of properties will change. There has been a huge link between your commute and your property. That might alter.

“And also people are talking about their work life balance in way they never have before and property has an impact on that.

“People will be saying I’ve been paying a huge mortgage to live within a commute of this place, I want to pay half the mortgage and live further away.”

It does seem that the property market will be boosted as a poll found more than a third of buyers hope to move by the end of summer. 

Though it may yet still see a downward turn, housing prices are steadily rising, with Zoopla this week predicting that the trend will continue well into the next quarter.

Estate agents have been inundated following the pent-up demand of the last few months, as buyers hope to find a new home.

A new poll by UK homebuilder Miller Homes has confirmed that sales are very much back on – and Britons are hoping to move much faster than expected.