It is investing hundreds of millions in border control in a clear indication Britain will be ready for no deal if necessary. It comes as Home Secretary Priti Patel prepares to announce the next stage of the overhaul of immigration rules with publication of a points based system aimed at attracting the brightest and the best to the UK. In a further move, the Sunday Express has learnt that Mr Johnson is set to drop Chinese tech company Huawei as a supplier for the new 5G network at a National Security Council meeting on Tuesday – when a review into Chinese involvement in the existing 3G and 4G networks could also be agreed.
The investmentment in border infrastructure, jobs and technology will include £470 million on new border control posts and £235 million on IT systems.
There will also be more than £100 million to develop HMRC systems to reduce the burden on traders, alongside additional investment in technology to ensure that new controls can be fully implemented in the “Roll On, Roll Off” environment.
Another £15 million will be spent to build new data infrastructure to enhance border management and flow helping us on our way to the world’s most effective border by 2025 .
This package is on top of the £84 million already provided in grants to ensure there is sufficient capacity in the customs intermediary sector to support traders.
READ MORE: Brexit news: Brexiteer shuts down Lib Dem leader over tweet
Brexit news: UK will seize back control of its borders by the end of the year
Brexit news: the UK investing hundreds of millions in border control
Speaking ahead of the announcement, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster Michael Gove, who is coordinating Brexit strategy, made it clear that the announcement will ready Britain for no deal.
Mr Gove said: “We are taking back control of our borders, and leaving the single market and the customs union at the end of this year bringing both changes and significant opportunities for which we all need to prepare.That is why we are announcing this major package of investment today.
“With or without further agreement with the EU, this £705 million will ensure that the necessary infrastructure, tech and border personnel are in place so that our traders and the border industry are able to manage the changes and seize the opportunities as we lay the foundations for the world’s most effective and secure border.”
His comments are a warning to Brussels and EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier that Britain is serious about walking away from talks if they persist on insisting the UK signs up to their rules and regulations in so called “level playing field measures” and demand access to UK fishing grounds.
David Frost, the UK’s chief negotiator, said last month that if major progress was not completed by the end of July then the talks will end.
According to the Government, it is “taking exceptional action” to build new border infrastructure inland where there is no space at ports.
Where ports have space to build on-site they will get one-off financial support to ensure the right infrastructure is in place.
The Government has been “intensively engaging with industry” in recent months to ensure that the processes we introduce and the infrastructure we develop is fit for purpose, and that they are ready to manage changes and capitalise on opportunities at the end of the transition period.
Meanwhile, the Home Secretary will unveil details of her points-based immigration system on Monday.
Ms Patel will unveil the NHS visa for health workers as well as a Global Talent Scheme to attract the brightest and the best particularly aimed at highly skilled scientists and researchers.
Boris Johnson discusses Brexit
She said: “The British people voted to take back control of our borders and introduce a new points-based immigration system.
“Now we have left the EU, we are free to unleash this country’s full potential and implement the changes we need to restore trust in the immigration system and deliver a new fairer, firmer, skills-led system from 1 January 2021.
“Britain is open for business and ready to welcome the best and brightest global talent.”
Labour last night hinted that it will oppose the new scheme.
A recording of shadow foreign secretary Lisa Nandy has emerged telling the Labour Tribune MPs group that she was “heartbroken” freedom of movement from the EU is ending.
Responding to Ms Patel’s announcement, Nick Thomas-Symonds MP, Labour’s Shadow Home Secretary said: “There are real concerns that this will cause major problems for our NHS and our care sector, at a time when we are still waiting for the Government to make good on their promise to scrap the unfair immigration health surcharge for workers who were being charged to access the very services they were keeping going to help others during the toughest of times.”
Nicola Sturgeon’s ‘appalling record’ laid bare: ‘nowhere to hide’ [OPINION]
Boris Johnson crashes Brexit dinner to issue Barnier with deal warning [INSIGHT]
Fishing chief erupts at EU’s demand for access to UK waters [VIDEO]
Brexit in Daily Express front pages
Whitehall sources have told the Sunday Express that the controversial decision to allow Huawei to build part of Britain’s 5G network will be reversed on Tuesday at the meeting of the National Security Council.
The company is seen as being too close to the Chinese government raising concerns about security.
Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee is also due to officially start running on Monday and it is understood that it would hold an inquiry into Chinese government espionage including fears about Huawei.
But the Sunday Express has also learnt that Chinese involvement in the 4G and 3G networks will be on the table for discussion.
Donald Trump has made it clear that a US/ UK trade deal could be jeopardised if Huawei is not excluded from 5G and Britain could even face sanctions.