Anthony Joshua has been tipped to go head-to-head with Tyson Fury later this year in a hotly-anticipated showdown. And the fate of the contest could be decided today as the duo’s teams are set for a make-or-break meeting to thrash out the final details.
Fury, 34, announced his retirement from boxing following his victory over Dillian Whyte at Wembley in April. But he has since put an offer on the table to get in the ring with Joshua. Joshua, 32, has suffered disappointment over the last 12 months after being defeated by Oleksandr Usyk at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last September, before losing the rematch in Saudi Arabia last month.
But a fight between Joshua and Fury, which could take place in Cardiff on December 3, looks to be on the cards. And the Gypsy King’s promoter Frank Warren says today is a key day. “I don’t want to get into all this publicly but there is a meeting on Monday that I think could be the final piece of the jigsaw to get it over the line,” he said.
“And that is what we have to do. They have had the contract since last Friday and it’s not the Yellow Pages. It’s a straight-forward contract and AJ is getting everything he wants in it.”
Meanwhile, Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn has already stated that his team will take as long as they need to check and sign the contract. And he believes Fury would be willing to show patience if he really wanted to get in the ring with his fellow Briton.
“If he doesn’t [want to fight Joshua], and I guess he doesn’t, then he’ll do what he’ll do and the fans might even fall for it,” Hearn said. “But what I am seeing, the fans aren’t falling for it. We have a meeting on Monday, with DAZN, with BT, with everybody – but it’s going to take time. If he wants to put a time frame of Monday on it then it’s clear to the whole public he doesn’t want the fight. It’s not getting signed on Monday so if he is walking away on Monday the fight is off.”