ANDY RUIZ JR has been warned he will face a legal battle if he refuses to take the Saudi Arabia rematch against Anthony Joshua.
It was announced on Monday that the deal had been done for the pair to go at it for Part II on December 7 in Diriyah.
But reports in the US suggested Ruiz Jr was not happy with the money on offer, with the original contract signed BEFORE their first fight giving him £8m.
Joshua is believed to be earning at least double that for the dust-up in the desert.
But at a press conference in London, Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn refuted any claims that Ruiz wouldn’t be taking the fight.
And speaking to Sky Sports, the boxing promoter warned the Mexican that he is “under contract” for the rematch.
He said: “The contract for the rematch was signed prior to the first fight. They were both signed at the same time. There is no other contract.
“We have to let (Andy and his team) know the time, date and venue which we have done. That’s it. They are contractually bound for the rematch.
“There are no conversations between the two teams about not doing the fight. I don’t perceive a problem.
“He signed a contract with us that he was absolutely over the moon with. That gave him the opportunity of a lifetime. He will 100 per cent honour that contract.
“His choice is to have a legal battle that could put him out of boxing for years, or to defend his belts for a lot of money against a guy he has already beaten.
“There isn’t any doubt he will take the fight. Any messing around and Ruiz Jr will lose belts, and he won’t want to do that.
“We expect the IBF, WBA and WBO belts to be on the line.”
RUIZ CASTS MORE DOUBT
SunSport reported how just ONE DAY after Hearn’s announcement, Ruiz himself ruled out the rematch taking place in Saudi Arabia.
He said in an Instagram live video: “I know everybody’s talking about the fight and all but we got the real news coming soon.
“The fight is going to happen soon. I’m trying to give hope, give motivation to all my people.
Most Read In Boxing
“It’s going to be on my terms, our terms, we’re going to bring it back here in the United States.”
Part of the reason is that Mexican Ruiz has concerns for his safety in Saudi Arabia.
He added: “It’s like I said, I don’t have no protection over there.”