Emmanuel Macron mobbed as he arrives in Beirut as Lebanon protesters demand 'revolution'

Emmanuel Macron was filmed struggling to walk past a mob of Beirut citizens trying to address the French President during his visit on Thursday. Mr Macron was the first foreign leader to head to Lebanon following the catastrophic blast that left more than 100,000 people homeless and killed over 150 locals. The President could be seen walking down one of the worst-affected areas, Gemmayzeh street, surrounded by his security detail trying to make way for the French leader through the mob.

The crowd could be heard chanting against Lebanese President Michel Aoun as they called for “revolution”.

Mr Macron announced his visit on Wednesday, saying he wanted to show his country’s solidarity with Beirut in the aftermath of the blast.

During his visit, President Macron said he is planning to spearhead efforts to collect aid in support of the former French protectorate.

“I wish to help organize international aid,” he said while noting that “beyond the explosion the crisis is grave.”

JUST IN: EU’s status as trading force in doubt after HALLOUMI row over Canada trade deal

In addition to the coronavirus pandemic crippling health services, Lebanon has also been undergoing a lengthy economic crisis which has left nearly one million people unable to buy basic necessities, according to a recent report from Save the Children.

Mr Macron continued: “This visit is the opportunity to have a frank dialogue and be demanding towards Lebanese political forces and institutions.”

During his walkabout, the French President also guaranteed French is will not be allowed into “corrupt hands” as he called for a new “political pact” with political insitutions.

Beirut’s port area was entirely levelled after what are believed to be 2,700 tonnes of highly explosive chemicals blew up amidst an ongoing fire in a nearby firework factory.

READ MORE: Lebanon explosion: WATCH moment fireworks factory blows up sending mushroom cloud into sky

Mr Hassan said: “Due to the emergency and panic, I am worried that treating the wounded in hospitals and the loss of personal protection equipment supplies may have an impact on the number of coronavirus patients in the next 10 days.”

According to a statement from the Lebanese Department of Health, the country recorded 209 COVID-19 cases on Tuesday and 146 on Wednesday.

Data from John Hopkins University showed 5,417 in total have so far contacted the virus and 68 have died.

The Netherlands announced on Wednesday medical staff and equipment would be sent to Lebanon to help local doctors, and a Chinese team of the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon will also be dispatched to help.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *