Horrific injuries of builder who lost his leg after being impaled by cement mixer


A BUILDER spent three weeks in a coma and had part of his leg amputated after a cement mixer fell on top of him while he was working on a roadside.

Sebastian Glyda, 27, endured two agonising hours as ambulance and fire crews battled to release him from the machinery and fast setting concrete.

Sebastian Glyda, 27, had part of his leg amputated after he was crushed by an industrial cement mixer at work
Sebastian endured two hours of agony as emergency crews battled to release him from the machinery and fast setting concrete
Slater and Gordon

He is now suing Mister Concrete, his former employer, as he claimed he repeatedly warned them about the faults in the machine – but said they failed to act.

Mister Concrete confirmed the case is “currently under investigation” but refused to make any further comment.

Recalling the terrifying incident in St Albans on July 23 last year Sebastian said: “It was meant to just be a normal Monday at work, laying a driveway for one of our customers when suddenly one of the screws in the machine broke.

“It was a huge piece of kit, which weighs about half a ton and it fell from around three metres in the air.

“Luckily, I got the majority of my body out of the way in time, otherwise, I don’t think I would be here.”

He went on: “As soon as I hit the ground I felt these agonising, shooting pains running through my lower back.

“At the time I thought it was just my back bruised from the impact but in fact it was my kidney that had suffered a severe amount of damage.


“There was blood everywhere and my leg was smashed to bits. I think the adrenaline kept me going until I was finally released and put on the stretcher…that’s when I passed out.”

After ten operations at St Mary’s Hospital, in London, the builder was brought out of a three week induced coma and told his left leg had been amputated from the knee down.

Sebastian lost 32kg – around 30 per cent of his body weight – during those three weeks in hospital.

But the avid gym-goer was determined to get back to lifting weights.

He said: “They warned it was likely to take days, if not weeks, for me to be able to walk without the help of sticks but I did it within three hours.

“I wanted to be stronger then I had ever been before.”

Within a month he was working out again in the gym and, incredibly, he is now set to compete in a bodybuilding competition.

“It’s been a hard battle”, he said. “The hundreds of little actions you do every day without giving them a second thought suddenly became real obstacles for me.”

Sebastian has now taken legal action against his employer, claiming he reported the fault numerous times before the incident took place.

Tracey Benson, specialist injury lawyer from Slater and Gordon, who is representing Sebastian, said: “This is a horrific work place accident that could have been avoided.

“Sebastian reported the fault on numerous occasions to his employers, up to ten days before the incident took place and they failed to act, leaving their hard-working employee of three years with life-changing injuries.”

A spokesman for Mister Concrete said: “This case is currently under investigation.”

Just a month after his horrific ordeal Sebastian was back in the gym
Sebastian pictured before his horrific workplace injury that happened in July last year
Slater and Gordon

We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at tips@the-sun.co.uk or call 0207 782 4368 . You can WhatsApp us on 07810 791 502. We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here