King Charles III “needs to figure out the line of succession” to make sure the Crown is safeguarded should a tragedy strike, according to a royal author. The new sovereign has been urged to choose behind the scenes a person who could become the Prince of Princess Regent in support of young Prince George should something happen to both him and Prince William.
Royal commentator Robert Jobson, who earlier this year published a biography of the Prince of Wales titled William at 40, believes Prince Harry, as a non-working royal, could not fulfil the task to support his nine-year-old nephew should both King Charles and Prince William become unable to carry out their constitutional duties.
In a comment piece for The Sun, the expert claimed the issue of Prince George being handed the Crown at a too young age due to a tragedy had worried the late Queen.
He wrote: “If something dreadful should happen to both him and William, then the heir would be a nine-year-old boy.
“There would need to be a Prince or Princess Regent until George was old enough to rule.
“This is something the Queen was very worried about, often encouraging William not to fly by helicopter to his Norfolk home Anmer Hall.
“At the moment, this task would traditionally fall to Harry — but as a non-working royal this cannot be.”
Mr Jobson then touted Princess Anne as a possible regent due to her unwavering support to the Crown and impeccable sense of duty.
He said: “Charles surely would want to break with precedent and give this task to his sister, the Princess Royal who has been a pillar of support.”
Both the appointment of a regent and changes to the line of succession would need an Act of Parliament.
READ MORE: Public backs King Charles III over slimmed-down monarchy – Poll
The line of succession was reshaped following the death of Queen Elizabeth II and accession to the throne of the longest-serving Prince of Wales in British history, Charles, on September 8.
William is now the heir to the throne while his firstborn is second-in-line.
The next adult in the line of succession is Prince Harry, followed by Prince Andrew, who is eighth-in-line, placed right behind the Duke of Sussex’s children Archie Harrison and Lilibet ‘Lili’ Diana.
Prince Edward and Princess Anne, placed 13th and 16th respectively, are the next working members of the Firm in the line to the throne.
Upon the accession of Charles to the throne, Prince William also inherited the title of Duke of Cornwall, while retaining the one of Duke of Cambridge gifted by the Queen on his wedding day in 2011.
On September 9, during his first address as sovereign, King Charles also announced to have created his firstborn Prince of Wales.
He said: “As my Heir, William now assumes the Scottish titles which have meant so much to me.
“He succeeds me as Duke of Cornwall and takes on the responsibilities for the Duchy of Cornwall which I have undertaken for more than five decades.
“Today, I am proud to create him Prince of Wales, Tywysog Cymru, the country whose title I have been so greatly privileged to bear during so much of my life and duty.
“With Catherine beside him, our new Prince and Princess of Wales will, I know, continue to inspire and lead our national conversations, helping to bring the marginal to the centre ground where vital help can be given.”
In this historic speech, Charles also mentioned his second son and daughter-in-law, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, in what was widely considered by commentators an olive branch.
He said: “I want also to express my love for Harry and Meghan as they continue to build their lives overseas.”
Despite the change in the line of succession and his parents’ new titles, Prince George will continue to live a childhood as normal as possible.
However, he showed a keen understanding of his future and his family’s relevance on the world stage on Monday, when he attended the Queen’s funeral service and the following committal service.
Accompanied by his sister Princess Charlotte, the nine-year-old behaved impeccably throughout the difficult day of national mourning.