Liverpool are in need of a miracle after losing 3-0 at the Nou Camp last Wednesday.
The Reds welcome Catalan giants Barcelona on Tuesday knowing that they need to score at least three goals to have any chance of progressing, but they will supposedly have to do so without talisman Salah.
Egyptian outlet YallaKora claim that the 26-year-old will NOT be available for Jurgen Klopp after suffering a head injury against Newcastle on Saturday.
The report claims that further tests are needed before the extent of the injury is confirmed, meaning he won’t be risked midweek.
Liverpool fans were given hope by Klopp shortly after the Newcastle win, when the German boss revealed that Salah was able to watch the remaining minutes after his substitution.
He said: ”The doctor had to make a decision and the decision was to take him off the pitch.
“When we came in he was sitting in the dressing room watching the game.
“He seemed fine, but we have to wait.”
The news is a further blow to fans after it emerged that Roberto Firmino’s injury was worse than it previously seemed.
“Roberto Firmino will not be ready for Barcelona,” Klopp said.
“Will he be back for the final week? We will see. He will not be ready for Tuesday.”
The pair have scored a combined 42 goals this season, and their absence will pile pressure on Sadio Mane.
Liverpool legend Graeme Souness praised the job Klopp has done since replacing Brendan Rodgers at the club, but warned both Salah and Sadio Mane could leave in the summer.
“He’s really passionate, he wears his heart on his sleeve, and the Liverpool supporters love that,” Souness told Sky Sports.
“I think it’s only a matter of time, whether it’s this year [or not], he will win trophies.
“This is a team that will win trophies.
“I still think [Klopp] won’t be terribly happy with the lack of creativity in midfield.
“I think he needs more of that, but I think he will resolve that
“The bigger question for me is can they hold onto Salah and Mane?
“That’s where I think the problem will come down the line.”