London stabbing horror as boy, 17, dies after fight involving '100 men with machetes'

5 mins read

Another teenager, 18, was rushed to hospital and remains in critical condition. The attack took place in the early hours of Sunday, August 4, morning in the London borough of Tower Hamlets. Police were called just after midnight to a disturbance involving a large number of people on Lichfield Road.

Officers became aware of two males with stab wounds. Medics from London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended. Both males were taken to east London hospital.

Despite the best efforts of staff, one male – believed to be aged 17 – was pronounced dead. His next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specially trained officers, according to the Met Police.

Metropolitan Police issued a Section 60 Authorisation in the E1 and E3 postal areas following the incident. The order gives police the power to stop and search anyone in the area without “reasonable grounds”.

A copy of the Section 60 Order circulated among residents in the area and shared to Twitter said: “An incident involving serious violence has taken place in the Lichfield Road E3 area after a call to over 100 persons armed with ‘machetes’.

“It is believed to have originated from a number of uninvited persons attending a party.”

The order was in place from 12.36am to 7am this morning.

However, Detective Chief Inspector Mark Rogers of the Met’s Specialist Crime Command, who is leading the investigation, said that reports of 100 people with machetes were not “wholly accurate”.

He said: “This is a highly worrying incident that has left one young man dead and another fighting for his life in hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends at this difficult time.

“I also want to reassure them and the wider community that my team and I are working around the clock to establish exactly what has happened and who is responsible. I would ask anyone who witnessed this incident or may have information that could help our investigation to please get in touch with us and share what you know.

“I am aware of reports saying that about a hundred people, armed with weapons were involved. While I would stress that our investigation is in its very early stages, this information does not appear to be wholly accurate. We know a significant number of people were caught up in this incident but not necessarily directly involved or armed with weapons.”

London Ambulance Service said that it treated three people at the scene before taking them to a major trauma centre.

A spokesperson for the service said: “We were called at 12.10am today (4 September) to reports of a stabbing on Morgan Street.

“We sent a number of resources to the scene, including three ambulance crews, an advanced paramedic, a medic in a fast response car, an incident response officer and a clinical team manager. We also dispatched medics in two cars from London’s Air Ambulance.

“We treated three people at the scene before taking them to a major trauma centre.”

Anyone with information should call 101, giving the reference 065/04SEP. Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

More to follow.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog