Man charged with breach of peace after Andrew heckled while walking behind Queen's coffin

5 mins read

Footage on social media showed a man shouting at Prince Andrew as he walked behind the hearse on Monday (September 12). The man was then dragged to the ground by two bystanders. Her Majesty’s coffin was making its way from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to St Giles’ Cathedral.

The man was arrested and released by police on an undertaking to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court at a later date.

A spokesman for Police Scotland said a 22-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with a breach of the peace on the Royal Mile at about 2.50pm on Monday, September 12.

The spokesman added: “He was released on an undertaking to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court at a later date and a report will be sent to the Procurator Fiscal.”

No further arrests have been made in relation to the incident.


Thousands of people have been queuing in Edinburgh for a chance to see the Queen’s coffin before it leaves St Giles’s Cathedral for Edinburgh Airport later today (September 13).

Stewards are telling members of the public who wish to show their respects they may not be guaranteed entry to the cathedral.

The Queen’s coffin will be flown to London after 24 hours at the cathedral where King Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward held a silent vigil on Monday.

They stood with their heads bowed at the four sides of the coffin while members of the public filed past to pay their respects.

While a bagpipe lament had been the only sound as kilted soldiers bore the casket earlier in the day, the four royals left the vigil in darkness to the sound of applause from mourners lining the street.

On Wednesday, Her Majesty’s coffin will be taken on a gun carriage to Westminster Hall where a period of lying in state will begin until the day of the funeral.

People have been warned not to wait or camp along the route where the Queen’s coffin will be taken from Buckingham Palace to Westminster Hall for the lying in state.

The procession will move along The Mall, Horse Guards Road, across Horse Guards Parade onto Whitehall and into the Palace of Westminster after 2.22pm.

Members of the public will be allowed to process past the coffin, which will be covered by the Royal Standard flag with the sovereign’s Orb and Sceptre placed on top, for 24 hours a day until the morning of the funeral.

The coffin is due to leave Edinburgh at 6pm today on an RAF Globemaster C-17 flight, accompanied by Princess Anne and her husband, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence.

Its arrival in RAF Northolt in west London is scheduled for 6.55pm.

It will then be transported on a state hearse, accompanied by Anne and Vice-Admiral Sir Tim, to Buckingham Palace.

Its route will be via the A40, Eastbourne Terrace, Lancaster Gate, Bayswater Road, Marble Arch, Park Lane, Hyde Park Corner and Constitution Hill.

Waiting to receive the coffin at the Palace will be the King Charles and the Queen Consort. The Prince and Princess of Wales will also be present.

A guard of honour formed of three officers and 96 soldiers from The King’s Guard will be mounted in the Palace Quadrangle.

The Queen’s coffin will rest in the Bow Room overnight.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog