Meghan Markle and Prince Harry could be feeling “slightly duped” by elements of the production for their Netflix docuseries, a reputation management expert has told Express.co.uk. The first three episodes of “Harry & Meghan” debuted on the streaming platform on Thursday morning.
The couple announced their deal with Netflix back in 2020, producing their newly-released show along with a second documentary series, “Heart of Invictus”.
The release of three episodes on Thursday morning coincided with the date marking three months since the death of the late monarch, Queen Elizabeth II.
In the opening scenes, the series makes it clear all interviews were recorded ahead of her death.
But reports in the wake of the late sovereign’s death claimed the Duke and Duchess hoped to “stall” the release of the series and edit its content, which was long speculated to be released this month.
But there could also be a “scenario in which they [Meghan and Harry] feel slightly duped by elements of the production”, according to crisis and reputation management expert, Edward Coram-James.
Go Up chief executive Mr Coram-James told Express.co.uk that “it is Netflix, not the Sussexes, that is trying to apply more sister ties to racism and slavery, via the use of clever cut-to editing, subliminal messaging, music and expert interviews”.
He said: “Overall, I would expect the Sussexes to be very happy with the end product, particularly the light in which it shows them. However, I can also see a scenario in which they feel slightly duped by elements of the production. Their personal attacks on the media are clear and unapologetic.
“However, they notably steer clear (so far) in making too overt an attack on the royal family itself, instead criticising the ‘institution’ of the Royal Family and staying within the safe zone of calling them formal and implying that they are living in a cage and out of touch.”
The first three episodes zero in on the royal role in formerly colonised nations and academic interviews on the relationship between colonialism and the current understanding of the Commonwealth, as promoted by the late Queen.
Mr Coram-James remarked: “I wonder whether Harry and Meghan may indeed watch elements of this and think, ‘Wait a second – we never said that the Royal Family is a racist institution, so why are there experts in this series that are equating them to such highly charged words’.
READ MORE: Meghan rages at ‘orchestrated reality show’ of engagement interview
The comments were made to Prince Harry, the Duchess said, who passed on the information to her.
Neither Meghan nor Harry would say who they claimed made the comments.
The Duke added that he was disappointed that his family never spoke out against the “colonial undertones” he said surrounded media attention about Meghan.
The Palace also became embroiled in a racism row earlier this month over comments made by senior aide Lady Susan Hussey during a reception to black charity boss Ngozi Fulani, which was quickly followed by the 83-year-old’s resignation from her honorary role.
But Meghan and Harry “notably steer clear” in these first three episodes of bold accusations against the Royal Family, Mr Coram-James argued.
The Duke and Duchess opt to criticise “the ‘institution’ of the Royal Family, staying within the safe zone of calling them formal and implying that they are living in a cage and out of touch”.
But “overall”, he added, “Overall, I would expect the Sussexes to be very happy with the end product, particularly the light in which it shows them”.