Meghan’s friend and morning show host Gayle King praised the Sussexes for telling their story while some critics were left unimpressed by the lack of “royal dirt”.
The first installment of the series was blasted by some critics, describing it as “a straightforward romance with no real royal dirt”.
Other media personalities, including CBS host Gayle King, said it was a “good thing” the couple were “finally” having their say and opening up about their “own story”.
Others agreed with the couple’s claims of being victimized by the media and being racially discriminated against by critics and the royal establishment.
Holly Williams, CBS’s foreign correspondent said: “A beautifully produced vision of family victimized and pursued by the media. Some will say it’s a high-end reality show, but it’s also a searing critique of the UK tabloid media and the relationship with the Royal Family”.
Harry and Meghan shared some details about previous allegations of racism within the Firm, but ultimately critics were left unimpressed by the lack of information about the couple and the controversies that swirl around them.
Stephanie Bunbury, of Deadline, said the episodes were not “the royal evisceration we have been expecting”.
She said: “The story so far is a straightforward romance, with the best-looking royals no longer in the business seen sitting on a couch agreeing that, guess what, they fell madly in love on their second date.
“None of this, however, is the royal evisceration we have been expecting.
READ MORE: ‘She is truly a Queen’ Princess Anne is a vision in red
“Presumably, Harry Formerly Known As a Prince and his maligned wife will go into a bit more detail in next week’s Volume II on what prompted them to walk away from the whole thing and set up shop in California.”
Writers for The Hollywood Reporter agreed that despite viewers experiencing “an intimate retelling” of Harry and Meghan’s “great love story” there was no “truly groundbreaking content”.
“While expectations of what the documentary might reveal were high, the audience is not enlightened about anything truly groundbreaking in the first three episodes,” a THR article read.
Meanwhile, television critic Daniel D’Addario said the couple had previously “shocked the world multiple times over” by leaving the Firm and their subsequent interviews with US media – most notably, the Oprah Winfrey interview in 2021.
He said: “With today’s release… the Sussexes surprise us yet again, with just how narrow their vision of their fame is, how pinched and unimaginative their presence on the world stage has become.
“They may have shed their responsibilities to the crown, but they’re still in a kind of service.
“There’s an air of duty about the entire enterprise of ‘Harry & Meghan,’ as if they’re honour-bound to keep reciting their personal story until we eventually lose interest.”
The next installment of the six-part series is due to be released next week on December 15.