Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have been blasted for engaging in” televisual warfare” by a royal expert. Writing in The Daily Telegraph, Camilla Tominey said that the first half of the series involved “slick propaganda” as well as “thinly-veiled jibes.”
She added that a “Sussex squad of loyal troops” appeared in the documentary to “battle against bigoted Britain” and its “racist” media.
She said: “This was a more subtle form of televisual warfare.
“Like a love story featuring an arrow filled with explosives, it used slick propaganda, thinly-veiled jibes and a Sussex squad of loyal troops to do battle against bigoted Britain and its racist press.
“Yet as soon becomes apparent with this unashamedly one-sided story, there is nothing fair in love and war when it’s waged against an opposition who can’t fight back.”
The former Sunday Express royal editor argued that the fact that members of the Royal family didn’t appear in the programme means that it is inevitably a biased and partisan account of events.
The first three episodes show the couple describing their love story from their first date to how Harry proposed to Meghan in London.
Towards the end of the first part of the series, the narrative begins to turn more towards the struggles the pair faced with racism in the British press and the symbiotic relationship the royals have with the media.
Ms Tominey scathingly added that Netflix strung out the story of “Meg-a-whinge and Prince Harassed” which could have been told in one episode into six.
The second part of the series featuring the final three episodes will be released by the streaming giant on Thursday 15 December.
Ms Tominey also argued that the Sussexes and featured interviewees make a number of generalisations during the show about journalists and the media.
READ MORE: Royals fire back as source says ‘no-one was approached’ for show
“Friend Lucy Frazer talks of journalists “trawling through rubbish bins” who “go through accounts” and “do anything to make money”.
“In the world according to Harry and Meghan, Leveson doesn’t appear to have happened – as they insist they were facing the same fate as Diana, illustrated by archive footage showing the princess telling a rogue snapper to put his camera away during a family skiing holiday.
“Yes, it’s shocking that William and Harry were paraded like that as children – but 30 years have passed since then and royal privacy has never been more respected in the UK.”