Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s ducal titles are not under threat, Express.co.uk has been told after King Charles III approached Parliament over his Counsellors of State. Questions had been raised over the continued use of Prince Harry’s Duke of Sussex title and Meghan’s Duchess of Sussex title, which they have retained since moving to the US.
The pair then gave up their senior royal duties, and were later stripped of their ability to use their HRH titles in an official capacity.
But the couple continue to use the Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles conferred on them by the Queen in 2018, which has raised eyebrows among royal commentators.
However, it would require an Act of Parliament to remove these ducal titles from Prince Harry and Meghan.
Yet on Monday, King Charles approached Parliament to initiate the process of passing legislation which would change the 1937 Regency Act.
The sovereign’s proposal would mean Princess Anne and Prince Edward, the two siblings of the King who are not currently counsellors of state, are inducted into the exclusive group.
It has been widely interpreted as a move which could sideline Prince Harry and Prince Andrew, who are counsellors of state with Camilla, Queen Consort, Prince William and Princess Beatrice, despite no longer being working royals.
But just because King Charles now has a track record of approaching Parliament to change traditional royal matters, this does not mean he will do the same when it comes to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s titles, a constitutional expert has said.
Dr Bob Morris, of the Constitution Unit at University College London, described the two Parliamentary processes as “entirely distinct” from one another.
READ MORE: Prince William is ‘holding huge grudge’ against Harry and Meghan
This would include when the monarch travels abroad, he said.
The proposal was also delivered to the House of Commons.
It would not remove the Duke of York and Duke of Sussex from their roles as counsellors of state, but would rather decrease the likelihood considerably that they would need to be called on to deputise for the monarch.
It comes as the monarch, along with other senior royals, are widely expected to travel extensively around the globe next year as part of the beginning of King Charles’ reign.
It also coincides with increasing questions around the contents of Prince Harry’s upcoming memoir, which will be released early next year.