Roger Federer: Andrey Rublev makes Cincinnati Masters vow ahead of third round showdown

0


On Tuesday, Rublev caused one of the biggest upsets of the tournament when he beat Stan Wawrinka 6-4 6-4 in the second round.

The reward for the 21-year-old is a clash with the seven-time champion.

Rublev has had a strong year, including his first win over a top 10 player when he defeated Dominic Thiem in Hamburg last month.

And the NextGen star says he will be achieving a lifelong goal when he takes on Federer.

“I always wanted to meet him,” Rublev told the ATP.

“Finally, we meet and we’ll see tomorrow. I will do my best. I will fight until the end.”

Federer opted not to play in Montreal, Canada last week at the Rogers Cup with Cincinnati being his only preparation before the US Open.

And the Swiss, who recently turned 38, says taking enough time off after Wimbledon is crucial to his plans at his older age.

“It’s the same amount of weeks like back in the day for Canada,” he told reporters

“It’s just we lost a week because we gained a week on the grass. I liked it the other way, too.

“It’s nice that the grass-court season is longer, so, you know, if you want to take somewhat of a break and prepare somewhat well physically and tennis-wise, it’s hard for me, I mean, at this age, I don’t know, but just to right away head into Canada.

“It would be a very quick turnaround because I usually take a week to nine days off after Wimbledon, and if then you want to train for, let’s say, two weeks, just basically can’t make it.

 

“I mean, you can run into Canada, but I don’t know.

“I’m in a different place in my career, you know, with the family.

“And Wimbledon being the big goal, it’s important also to let it set a little bit and take time to prepare for the next part of the season.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here