Teary-eyed mourners queue for hours to see Queen's coffin at St Giles Cathedral

3 mins read

Her Majesty lies in state at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh. Thousands of mourners watched in near silence as the Queen’s children, led by King Charles III, walked behind their mother’s hearse as it drove down from the Palace of Holyroodhouse to St Giles’ Cathedral. 

A service of remembrance was held in the cathedral where the Queen will lie at rest until Tuesday afternoon, allowing members of the public to pay their last respects.

The queue for entry into the cathedral stretched more than a mile to the city’s Meadows park.

There was a respectful silence from the crowd, which was 10 deep in places, as the procession took place on Monday afternoon.

Amid the silence was an echo of ceremonial gunshots which were fired from Edinburgh Castle every minute.

All four of the Queen’s children – King Charles, Princess Anne and Princes Andrew and Edward – walked behind the hearse, along with Princess Anne’s husband, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence.

A car behind them carried Camilla, the Queen Consort, and Sophie, the Countess of Wessex, Prince Edward’s wife.

Hundreds held up their phones to capture the moment on camera as cries of “she’s here” were heard in the crowd.

During the procession, a lone heckler shouted abuse at the Duke of York and was subsequently removed by police.

READ MORE: BBC News commentator teased by viewers after Paddington Bear news

Mourners will be allowed to file past the late Queen’s coffin on Monday evening until 3pm on Tuesday.

Armed forces veteran George Higgins has waited some 12 hours to pay his respects to the Queen in Edinburgh today.

The worker at the Royal Infirmany hospital in the Scottish capital was the first to join the queue at 6.45am.

He told Sky News: “This is happening in my city. She’s lying in St Giles and I wouldn’t miss it for the world. I have to go and pay my respects to my old boss.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog