'Unspeakable torture': UK aid worker's final days laid bare before death at hands of Putin

4 mins read

Dmytro Kuleba made the horrifying announcement via Twitter, reporting that while Russia claimed humanitarian worker Paul Urie died from “illness” and “stress”, his body showed signs of being tortured. Paul Urey, 45, from Warrington, Cheshire, was captured in April by pro-Russian separatists, along with another Briton, Dylan Healey.

Mr Kuleba said: “Russians have returned the body of a British humanitarian worker Paul Urie whom they captured in April and reported dead due to “illnesses” and “stress” in July. With signs of possible unspeakable torture. Detaining and torturing civilians is barbarism and a heinous war crime.

“I express my deepest condolences to relatives and close ones of Paul Urie. He was a brave man who dedicated himself to saving people. Ukraine will never forget him and his deeds.

“We will identify perpetrators of this crime and hold them to account. They won’t escape justice.”

The two men were later charged with “mercenary activities” by the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DNR).

Mr Urey’s death was reported by the DNR in July, claiming only that it was due to “illness and stress”.

Daria Morozova, the ombudsperson of the Russian separatists in the eastern Ukraine region, said officials from their side gave Urey the “necessary medical assistance despite the grave crimes he committed”.

UK officials have confirmed they have been informed of the cruel and illegal tortuer of Mr Urey.

According to Sky News, a spokesperson for the foreign office said: “We are disturbed by reports that aid worker Paul Urey may have been tortured in detention. It is essential that we see the results of a full post-mortem as soon as possible. Our thoughts are with Paul Urey’s family at this distressing time”.

READ MORE: North Korea scared after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine [REVEAL]

The humanitarian worker’s mother Linda Urey called the separatists “murderers” and asked “Why did you let him die?” after learning of his death.

When Mr Urey died, Britain summoned the Russian ambassador to the UK to the foreign office to question them over the circumstances that led to his death.

A video of Mr Urey, representing one of the last times he was seen alive, showed him in captivity and was broadcast on Russia television.

In the video said he travelled to Ukraine because he did not believe how the British media portrayed the Russian invasion of Kyiv.

However his mother drew doubts over whether this had truly been Mr Urey’s motivation, saying he did not seem like himself in the video, leading to suggestions he may have said the words under duress.

She added that he had gone to Ukraine despite her begging him not to go to a war zone.

She said that he had told her he would not have been able to live with himself knowing people needed help and that he had to get them to a safe place.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog