Where Meghan Markle and Prince Harry should have been tonight

4 mins read


The Duke of Sussex arrived at Balmoral Castle in Scotland, where Queen Elizabeth II died, on Thursday evening. In an initial statement after it became known that the monarch’s health was in decline, a spokesperson for the couple said the Duke and the Duchess are on their way to Scotland. But it is understood that Harry ultimately arrived at the estate without his wife, Meghan Markle. He joined other members of his family including his father, now King Charles III, and the Queen Consort, Camilla.

Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, as well as the Earl and Countess of Wessex also arrived by the Queen’s bedside before Harry got there.

Harry and Meghan Markle were on a trip around Europe, and they were meant to appear at an event in London before the news of the Queen’s declining health broke.

The couple had to cancel their attendance at the WellChild Awards, where they would celebrate the achievements and resilience of seriously ill children and their families.

The Duke has been patron of WellChild since 2007 and he was expected to commend the courage of the young people recognised, and thank those who care for and support them.

The event was scheduled to include a pre-ceremony reception where the couple would meet the winners of each award category, including health professionals, and members of their families.

Harry had prepared a short speech to deliver at the event and the couple was meant to present the award for most inspirational child aged four to six.

The awards celebrate the inspiring qualities of some of the country’s seriously ill young people and the dedication of those who go the extra mile to keep children healthy and happy, including health, social care and education professionals.

On Monday, the couple was in Manchester where they attended the One Young World summit in which Meghan delivered a keynote speech.

READ MORE: Charles releases first statement as King from Balmoral after Queen’s death 

Mourning British people commented on the couple’s dispute with the family. Christine Evans, 68, from Shropshire, said she hopes the royal family will be brought closer together in the wake of the Queen’s death, and that Harry and Meghan can heal their alleged rift.

She said: “Obviously it’s a very sad occasion but sometimes it brings people together – and family have got to stay together.”

Pat Miller, a Birmingham resident, had been inside the city’s St Philip’s Cathedral to light a candle in memory of the Queen.

She said: “I’m so sad that she didn’t see Meghan and Harry and the two children. That’s my upset. She’s had a wonderful life. A good age. It’s sad the way it’s ended. It was a big shock to me”.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Blog